Saturday, May 11, 2013

There's An App for That! Pt #1

Today I'm working for a teacher I know. Somehow, I thought his students would be nice ... like him. Am I naive or just foolish?

No, these are sweathogs. Pure blooded.

We begin class with a bell-ringer cast onto a pull-down screen by on overhead projector. I have finally figured out how to work one. These are NOT the overhead projectors of 15-20 years ago. These are complicated. Yet today, every few minutes, sometimes in seconds, it goes off. I worry with it over and over. Finally, I resort to writing on the board. 

Almost in unison, the kids tell me that no one is allowed to write on the board. I tell them that's okay because No ONE has told me this rule, therefore I will write and not worry. They really insist. I write on. Is only two questions. Before I can finish, the projector comes on and the questions are projected onto the board over what I am writing. "It's okay," I say, determined not to let this apparent malfunction get the better of me, or the teacher's lesson instructions. Throughout class, it continues to come on intermittently. I turn it off over and over.

I note this problem in my report to the teacher as well as to the teacher whose classroom this is...for today, I am a floater.

During this "odd" day 1st period, I am snipped at by one young man in particular. I don't understand it. These are all new students to me. I have no prior relationship with them. Before the almost 2-hour period ends, he has cursed me for no reason, other than maybe I am an authority figure.

Being the recipient of foul language is difficult. To not react require patience and experience and more patience. I have learned during my subbing career to bide my time if at all possible. Relax. Allow the anger to drain away on the part of all parties concerned. Then, I review my choices. What will benefit the kid and me  I decide upon a Plan A and if that fails (as it always has in the past) a Plan B. Actually Plan B is my first choice, but Plan A is the student's final chance.

(How I wish those little electric shock guns were legally allowed. :D 



The clock hands move slowly as I collect papers. At approximately 3 minutes till the bell, while we are all standing near the door (myself included since I have to rush to another building), I speak softly to the young man. "Kevin, I need to speak with you when the bell rings." His eyes meet mine. He has heard me, and there will be no possible denial of my request later. 

Of course, I'm figuring he will rush out and that will be one more infraction to add to his discipline referral. I plan to write it up as soon as I am settled in my next class. I still have the attendance sheets and will be able to get his student number of of the class roll.

He doesn't even wait for the bell. He initiates the conversation with me He does all the talking. He apologizes for his behavior and his language and begs forgiveness.

OK, I'm a sap.  A pushover. I accept his apology but there's more. He's asking my forgiveness. Actually, I'm having this inner battle. He's asking my forgiveness. I have to accept it. Didn't the LORD forgive me for a whole lot more? I forgive and tell him so. Tell him it takes maturity to apologize and humility to ask for forgiveness  I add that I respect him for his confessing his trespass. Gives me warm fuzzies. I am sure he feels redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment