Thursday, May 9, 2013

Another Day In The Jungle

This brings to mind Tull's "Bungle In The Jungle" -- and yes, they probably do that here, too. But today, at least this morning for my first 2-hour block, I have a Drafting/Architecture class. It is roughly the size of two and a half to three average sized classrooms, filled with computers and various machines. Blue print printers, copiers and a "light machine" are also in this classroom. And there are only 17 kids.

Most are doing their work -- not sure what that is as I don't have any lesson plans and no attendance sheet. Maybe five boys are yapping and playing computer games. I see the same game on each of their screens. Seems to be about shooting, like a war game, but with a desolate setting. Their chatter reminds me of young buck deer challenging each other with itty-bitty antler nubs.

They were happy to see me this Monday morning. Well, maybe not me personally, but they exclaimed with delight over the absence of their teacher.

Before the period is over, all seventeen of them are playing the same game. I ask what it is called and they tell me, "Halo." They are calling to each other to perform this move or that and congratulating one another on a good kill. Some are riding in jeep-type vehicles...all on the same team.

As I watch all of them happily doing their game playing, I wonder if maybe I should tell them that there is probably an out-of-sorts IT man at the district office tracking their every move on the net this morning? Naw.

This is a great example of team sports. I believe it is indeed instructional, teaching how to interact with others in order to accomplish goals. And I think they all deserve As.

No comments:

Post a Comment