Thursday, May 9, 2013

Not Yet...

It's just first period of an odd block day.I have a Biology class. These are good kids, I've been told.

I meet them at the door. Smile and greet them. Most find their seat rights away. They are chatting. it's okay!

Somewhat nervously I await the bell, my "You're Up" signal. While waiting, I examine their faces for clues of what kind of day I will have with them. "Are they kind? Will they be sweet? Not so loud?"

A very wise teacher once told me that most all teachers are introverts with an extreme desire for self-torture.

Maybe that's true.

I love the act, but fear the audience. Did any famous actor ever murmur that? Probably not, but this is definitely stage fright.

The biggest hurdle is that there is no rehearsal for my act of the hour. The heart races. I've had just a few minutes to go over my script, to locate my props, to briefly think through locating that which is missing. To improvise ....

The bell rings and it's Lights, Camera, Action.

I go through my spiel. Ask for quiet while I call roll, fearful of butchering first names. Like Yael. Got it right but wonder if the parents didn't know the spelling or they were just looking for unique? Maybe they attended  Yale??? Maybe she was conceived at Yale????

I run across Anyeli. Huh? I don't even take the chance of badly mutilating that one and quickly call out the last name. Thank God the last name is a well-known one. After "here" resounds, I inquire as to how the first name is pronounced. Sounds nice. Definitely NOT like it is spelled.

I simply don't want to embarrass the kids by mispronouncing their names. I don't want to give others a reason for fun-poking. "Not nice, Precious." Instead, I accept full-blame. I admit to being "name-challenged." This causes the young minds to concentrate on trying to figure out what I've just said.

And then it's on to the script.

There is no dishonor or shame in reading the teacher's plans. I often write the instructions on the board, too, just in case I forget what they are supposed to be doing, or if they claim they didn't know what the assignment was. Lots of distraction sometimes gives way to forgetfulness.

If they are doing seat work, I occasionally walk the aisles. Why? Because that was what I did as a full-time teacher. That was a way to keep them on track, to answer questions, to correct mistakes  Today I do it just because it helps to maintain civil decorum. It has become a part of my "act." Sometimes I can answer their questions. Sometimes I get an idea for a story to tell them, an anecdote that is somehow related to their current study that may cause a smile, a grin, a wince. Other times, I find encouraging things to say, to compliment hand writing or pretty hair, maybe matching colors in a boy's attire. Not too personal.

It is 3rd period now, nearing the end of my 2nd nearly 2 hour block.Fifth period will be half the time -- and then I will be routed to the Social Studies wing for a long 7th period. Yes, I wonder what awaits me there, but choose not to think about it. Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment